Monday, March 28, 2011

Fishbowl Cupcakes


How cute are these cupcakes!? 
They are one of the most recent things I've baked and decorated, and they were actually pretty easy to make! I got the idea from my Hello, Cupcake book which has some really adorable cupcake ideas (although I've only made a couple so far... I'll post about the other ones I've made later!) 

To make these, I needed to buy green fruit leather (which I found at Target) for the seaweed, Goldfish for the fish and Betty Crocker Praline Crunch Ice Cream Topping for the gravel on the bottom of the bowl (which I also found at Target). Before I made these, I google-imaged them to see what other people had done, and some people used nerds or colorful sprinkles for the gravel which was really cute too! 

To make the cupcakes I used plain white liners and boxed cake mix, and then I used two cans of white icing to ice the 24 cupcakes. After you add blue food coloring to about 3/4 of the icing, you melt it in the microwave via the instructions in the book and then you dip the cupcakes in the melted icing to give it this cool smooth and watery look. Some advice I have is that the book tells you to dip part of the cupcake in melted white icing and make a rim on top (to give it more of a fish-bowl effect), but I thought that didn't seem to be worth it, since they were already really cute! So if you want, feel free to skip that step. And when you're finished icing them and adding all of the decorations you have these adorable cupcakes!! 

I made them for my seven year old cousin's birthday party and everyone loved them!

1 comment:

  1. I thing it may good to eat that I saw cupscakes in ur blogs....
    Bakery Equipment

    ReplyDelete