Monday, April 11, 2011

Easter Lamb Cake

With Easter in about two weeks, it's time to start thinking about what to bake!


For the first time last Easter, I made this Lamb Cake using a cake mold I was given by a family friend. I didn't know this, but apparently making a cake in the shape of a 3D Lamb is an Italian Easter tradition, so since I'm Italian I decided I needed to give it a try. 

The mold was easy to use: I just followed the recipe that was given with the pan to make the cake. After letting the cake cool, I placed it on a white dish before icing it, since I knew it would be difficult to move it after it was done.

I iced the cake with white icing and used a bag of shredded coconut to cover it completely. All you have to do is take handfuls of coconut and press it against the wet icing, and it automatically makes the cake look more realistic. I set aside a little bit of the icing and died it a bright pink, and used that to ice the inside of the lamb's ears. Then I took white icing, made dots for the eyes, and then used black icing to make the insides of the eyes. I also used the black icing for the nose, using a toothpick to smooth the icing around and make it the shape that I wanted. 

When I was done with the lamb itself, I put about half a bag of shredded coconut in a bowl, added green food coloring, and mixed it around until all of the coconut had been dyed green. When I was done, it looked just like grass & I spread it around the lamb, adding egg shaped jelly beans that almost every store carries around Eastertime. When the cake was done, it was adorable! & the perfect centerpiece for Easter day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment